The Tavern United downtown has 3 things going for it:
1) Location – being right beside the MTS Centre makes this place the first stop before and after events held at the arena. Now with Winnipeg on the rise, the arena is poppin off more than ever. With the Jets, concerts, and now the UFC stopping in Winnipeg for the first time, downtown is seeing new life. And the Tavern United is right there to ease everyone in.
2) Screens – if you can’t get into the events at the arena, don’t worry. The TU has you covered with huge screens showing all sports, all the time. Every place you sit in this place has a TV up in your grill.
3) Rooftop patio – Winnipeg doesn’t have too many rooftop patios, but the Tavern United is one that is worth a mention. It is hands down the best rooftop patio in town, so if that is your thing… check it out.
Ok, now that we have highlighted the 3 good things about the Tavern United, let’s take a look at the other side of the coin.
1) The restaurant decor reminds me of a cheesy family restaurant in Orlando.
2) OK service
3) The patio is almost like a completely different place from the Tavern United. Different specials and no simple transitions back and forth make it awkward.
4) The Celtic Clubhouse as they like to call it is bad. The menu claims the club has garlic basil aioli, which perks my buds, but was not noticeable on the sandwich. It had grilled chicken, so that was nice and also some melted cheddar cheese, but for the price of $13.50 this club is not a hit. It is one of the most expensive and underwhelming clubs I have had. And my least favorite part about this club was that the bread must have been drenched in butter, because butter was all I could taste. EW.
To sum up, if you want a quick drank before and after the game, the Tavern United is for you. If you want a good clubhouse sandwich, please please please look elsewhere.